Tuesday 31 January 2017

Interview to my grandparents

By Daniel

During the Christmas holidays I visited both sets of my grandparents:

–Nonna (but she is English) and Nonno in Italy

–Grandma and Grandpa in England

Nonna and Nonno in Italy

 •Nonna grew up in England, before moving to America and then Italy.
 •She is 77 years old. 
•She showed me some old games from the 60-70s.
 •She used to play a lot outdoors and wrote down the rules of some of her favourite games.
 •There were not a lot of toys. Used to play with one only.
 •Used to do a lot of sport after school
 •Nonno is 79 and was born in Pisa, but at 3 years old he had to move a lot with his family due to the war. 
•He used to play outdoors and used to love playing cards and backgammon in his youth
 •Television in Black and White arrived later on.
 •My Italian grandparents like old things that can be collected, that are called antiques.

Games that we still play with
•These are my Nonna’sgames from her youth 
•She is really good at Dominoes, we played a lot in the holidays, also to build towers.
•Nonna taught me how to play Snap.

•My Italian grandparents have been married for long time
 •For every Christmas they spent together, they bought a special Christmas blue plate (Bing & Grondahl)
 •They have an old book that tells the story

Grandma and Grandpa

 •Grandpa is 79 and Grandma is 77 years old
 •They grew up in the north of England.
 •When Grandpa was my age he will go to school but before school he had to feed the pigs and after school he went to work in is dad’s bakery shop 
•When Grandma was my age she went to school but also help in the afternoons in their family shop.  •There were no foreign children in their school 
•Chocolate and sugary products at the time were on rations as it was after the war. 
•The Fairground will come to the village only once a year. They had Dodgems too.
 •There was no television till they were 9-10 years old so they used to play a lot outdoors (the same games my Nonna played!!!).
 •They flew on a plane only in their thirties, while I flew on a plane when I was a few months old. •My grandpa flew on a Concorde.

The way we make bread has changed 

•My Grandpa used to be a baker and he worked in bakeries all his life.
•He loves any bread, above all brown, as it is good for you. 
•A baker in the past had to wake up very early in the morning to prepare the bread for the village. Sometimes they worked through the night.
•Bread was made by hand not automated as today.
•They did not have baguettes or any other foreign bread in England. 
•Only later on, my Grandpa, started travelling through Europe to discover different ways of making bread and different types. 

No comments:

Post a Comment